Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What I eat + Easy Overnight Buckwheat Parfait

Confusing information about nutrition + not knowing where to start = feeling overwhelmed. I know, I have so been there!

I had to take some baby steps and struggle a little to find the right way to eat for me and my body.  Unfortunately something that worked for someone else did not work for me and a food journal has been an amazing way for me to document my food and symptoms and see connections.

So how do I eat you ask? We are a 100% soy & gluten free household and the only dairy we have in the house is butter for my dear husband. We focus on "whole foods" which means I spend a lot of time in the kitchen making meals. BUT it is so worth it to know I am nourishing my body with REAL foods. We eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, gluten free grains such as quinoa, buckwheat and rice, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds and lots of smoothies, green juices and raw foods. We do eat some meat such as wild game, grass fed beef and wild fish but right now my husband and I are doing a 30 day meat free challenge. Today is day 4! My husband has Crohn's disease and he has already seen some improvements with his digestion.



Easy Overnight Buckwheat Parfait  
- from Oh She Glows

1/4 cup raw buckwheat groats
3/4 cup almond milk
2 tbsp. chia seeds
1 large ripe banana, 1/2 mashed, 1/2 sliced
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Add the buckwheat groats in a bowl and cover with water.  Stir.  Place in the fridge uncovered overnight.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the chia seeds, almond milk, banana, cinnamon and vanilla until no chia clumps remain.  Place in fridge uncovered overnight.

In the morning, rinse the buckwheat with cold water in a strainer.  Add the rinsed buckwheat into the chia mixture and stir well.  Just before serving, drizzle with a small amount of maple syrup and top with some fresh fruit.

FUN FACTS

- chia seeds - 2 tbsp. contains 10 grams of fiber

- buckwheat - is gluten free

- cinnamon - can help balance blood sugars




No comments:

Post a Comment